Hello CAT 2016 Aspirants.
Those who are interested in participating in the upcoming Common Admission Test (CAT) 2016 examination for the MBA (Master in Business Administration) admission across India are requested to take a note on the following sample questions. The following questions are the sample Verbal Aptitude Questions for the CAT 2016. Make the most of it.
Directions (Qs. 1 to 6): Choose the best answer among the listed alternatives.
1. One major obligation of the social psychologist is to provide his own discipline, the other social sciences, and interested laymen with conceptual tools that will increase the range and the reliability of their understanding of social phenomena. Beyond that, responsible government officials are today turning more frequently to the social scientist for insights into the nature and solution of the problems with which they are confronted.
The above argument assumes that
A. Social psychologists must have a strong background in other sciences as well as their own.
B. The social scientist has an obligation to provide the means by which social phenomena may be understood by others.
C. Social phenomena are little understood by those outside the field of social psychology.
D. A good social psychologist is obligated principally by the need to solve inter-disciplinary problems.
(a) B (b) C (c) A (d) D
2. Once a company has established an extensive sales network in a foreign market and therefore has achieved substantial sales, it seems that these markets should be treated in a very similar fashion to those in one's own country. It is therefore in those countries where only initial sales and representation have been developed where marketing methods will have to differ from domestic activities.
The above statement assumes that:
A. Sales network can be the same in both foreign and domestic markets.
B. Extensive sales networks are preferable to less developed ones.
C. Larger markets abroad are more adaptable to domestic marketing methods.
D. A study of marketing should consider the adaptability of advertising campaigns in different countries.
(a) A (b) B (c) C (d) D
3. Equality of opportunity has long been prominent as a goal in many countries. In Europe and America there has also been advocacy of more equality of income - the results after taxes of what a person gets for his efforts and the yield of his property. Many western politicians believe this concept of equality should be implemented in developing countries in order to speed economic development.
Which of the following, if true, could weaken the argument above?
A. In a poor society, total income is so low that if it were distributed equally, no one could save enough to provide resources for investment.
B. The marginal dollars in the hands of people with large incomes provide less utility than those with lower income.
C. High achievement in many societies is due to equality of incomes.
D. Equality of opportunity is not necessarily synonymous with equality of income.
(a) D (b) B (c) A (d) C
4. In 1985 there were 20 deaths from automobile accidents per 1,000 miles traveled. A total of 20,000 miles were traveled via automobiles in 1985. In the same year, 800 people died in airplane crashes and 400 people were killed in train disasters. A statistician concluded that it was more dangerous to travel by plane, train, and automobile, in that order.
Which of the following refutes the Statistician's conclusions?
A. There is no common denominator by which to compare the number of deaths resulting from each mode of travel.
B. One year is insufficient to reach such a conclusion.
C. More people travel by car than any other mode of transport, therefore, the probability of a car accident is greater. D. The probability of being killed in a train disaster and as a result of a car crash is the same.
(a) A (b) B (c) C (d) D
5. Product shipments of household appliances are expected to rise to $17 billion next year, an average annual increase of 8.0 percent over the past five years. The real growth rate, after allowing for probable price increases, is expected to be about 4.3 percent each year, resulting in shipments this year of $ 14 billion in 1987 dollars.
Each of the following, if true, could help to account for this trend EXCEPT:
A. Increased consumer spending for durable products
B. Consumer disposable income has increased.
C. The consumer price of electricity has decreased.
D. Individual tax advantages have decreased.
(a) C (b) A (c) D (d) B
6. Each year's increase or decrease in the trade deficit (merchandise imports greater than exports) is calculated in relation to the previous year's. In 1976, imports of private vehicles were 10 percent higher than in 1975, while imports of vehicles including commercial vans was 15 percent higher than in 1975. That 15 percent increase was one and half times the increase recorded in 1975.
If the formation above is accurate, which of the following must be true?
A. In 1976, the increase, if any of commercial vehicle imports was smaller than the increase in imports of private vehicles.
B. In 1976, the increase, if any, of commercial vehicle imports was greater than the increase in imports of private vehicles.
C. In 1975, more commercial vehicles were imported than private vehicles.
D. The average number of private vehicles imported, in 1975 declined.
(a) A (b) C (c) B (d) D
Directions (Qs. 7 to 10): Choose the correct alternative.
7. Somebody told you, ___________?
(a) Isn't it (b) Wasn't it (c) Didn't he (d) Didn't they
(a) News travels (b) News travel (c) A news travels (d) The news travel
9. She __________in the morning because she gets up late.
(a) always has to hurry (b) has always to hurry (c) has to always hurry (d) has to hurry always
10. There is _____________.
(a) hair in the soup (b) hair in soup (c) a hair in soup (d) a hair in the soup
Thanks for your effort to solve the Sample CAT 2016 Verbal Aptitude Questions. If you are still in search for the right answers, see below: